- cerebral cortex
- nounthe layer of unmyelinated neurons (the grey matter) forming the cortex of the cerebrum (Freq. 2)• Hypernyms: ↑neural structure• Part Holonyms: ↑cerebrum• Substance Meronyms: ↑grey matter, ↑gray matter, ↑grey substance, ↑gray substance, ↑substantia grisea• Part Meronyms:↑Golgi's cell, ↑Golgi cell, ↑cortical area, ↑cortical region, ↑frontal lobe, ↑frontal cortex, ↑prefrontal lobe, ↑prefrontal cortex, ↑parietal lobe, ↑parietal cortex, ↑occipital lobe, ↑occipital cortex, ↑temporal lobe, ↑temporal ccortex
* * *noun: the superficial layer of gray matter overlying the cerebral hemispheres and functioning chiefly in coordination of higher nervous activity
* * *the furrowed outer layer of gray matter in the cerebrum of the brain, associated with the higher brain functions, as voluntary movement, coordination of sensory information, learning and memory, and the expression of individuality.[1925-30]
* * *cerebral cortex nounThe outer layers of the cerebral hemispheres associated with higher function of the nervous system• • •Main Entry: ↑cerebrum
* * *the outer layer of the cerebrum (=the front part of your brain)Thesaurus: brain and nervous systemhyponym
* * *cerebral cortex,
Useful english dictionary. 2012.